Tuesday, June 9, 2009

What do I seek First?

This morning I spent some time with a small group of guys talking about a passage in the Bible where Jesus commands us not to not worry but rather to seek first His Kingdom (Matt. 6:25-35). Could it be that the reason we worry so much is because our focus is on so many things other than God's Kingdom? He says that worrying cannot add a single hour to our life and it solves nothing. If that is true, why does it consume us at times? Is it a lack of faith and trust that God will provide for our basic needs or is it that we have become so attached to our American lifestyle that we fear being stripped of some of our luxuries? I think for most of us it is the latter. Our fear isn't that God will fail to provide for our basic needs, our real fear is that we might be reduced to such a lifestyle. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the blessings of living in such a prosperous country as much as the next person but it is sad to think that we often worry and fret over losing things that many people in this world only dream about ever having.

I just want to know the contentment of Paul who said; "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength."

Contentment brings peace and I believe it is the cure to the bondage of worry and fear.

God help me to seek First You and Your Kingdom and to be satisfied with what you give and what you take away...

No comments: